Originally known as Baromi, the township of Mirboo North was first settled in 1878. It took over fifty years for the name Mirboo North to stick, with it being officially gazetted in October 1929. 'Mirboo' is an Aboriginal word meaning "kidney".
Deep in the forest, the Mirboo North township started to progress following the construction of the Morwell railway line in 1885. This railway line serviced the town for almost a century, with the final train passing through town on 22 June 1974.
A butter factory operated in Mirboo North from 1893 to 1974, transforming milk from local farms into much sought-after dairy products. Amalgamation of the Mirboo & Morwell Farmers' Cooperative Co. Ltd. with Murray Goulburn ultimately led to the closure of the factory, with dairy manufacturing shifting to the larger Murray Goulburn factory in nearby Leongatha.
The Shire of Mirboo was formed in 1894 and lasted 100 years, before being amalgamated with nearby Shires. At approximately 24,624 hectares (95 square miles), Mirboo Shire doesn't seem too small, but when amalgamated it was the smallest Shire in Victoria. Nowadays, Mirboo North is part of South Gippsland Shire.
For the curious, Mirboo North is located to the north of the much smaller township of 'Mirboo', but 'Mirboo South', 'Mirboo East' and 'Mirboo West' are nowhere to be found.
Information sourced with thanks from Mirboo & District Historical Society Inc.